Celebrate what should have been the start of Wimbledon with the ultimate tennis quiz
TENNIS has been given the elbow – Wimbledon was due to start on Monday but thanks to Covid-19 the tournament will not take place, for the first time since World War Two.
As a consolation, try this quiz by Ben Griffiths to see if you are a tennis ace.
Wimbledon will not be taking place thanks to Covid-19Credit: Getty Images – Getty
1. Which singer gave an impromptu performance on a washed-out day on Centre Court in 1996?
a) Madonnab) Mr Blobbyc) Cliff Richard
2. In 1995, a young Tim Henman was disqualified from the men’s doubles for doing what?
a) Failing a drugs testb) Swearing at the umpirec) Hitting a ball girl in the head with a ball
3. In the early 2000s Greg Rusedski was one of Britain’s main tennis hopes. But which country was he born in?
a) Canadab) Australiac) Russia
4. In 1981 John McEnroe shouted something at an umpire which became his catchphrase. What was it?
a) Are you blind as well as deaf?b) You cannot be serious!c) I hate you!
5. In 1996 US star Malivai Washington lost in the final to Richard Krajicek, but what did he blame for putting him off?
a) A pigeonb) A female streakerc) A UFO
6. What is used on Centre Court to scare away pigeons every day?
a) A catb) John McEnroec) A hawk
In 1981, John McEnroe shouted at a Wimbledon umpireCredit: Sports Illustrated – Getty
7. What plant grows on the side of Centre Court?
a) Rosesb) Ivyc) Cannabis
8. The viewing area Murray Mound used to be called what?
a) Perry’s Peakb)Henman Hillc) Virginia’s View
9. What have the 1.9million strawberries that had been ordered this year been made into?
a) Ice creamb) A model of Wimbledonc) Jam
10. In 1985, what hit the press centre at the event?
a) An escaped bullb) A lightning strikec) A flood
11. Which member of the Royal Family has played at Wimbledon?
a) Prince Charlesb) Prince Andrewc) King George VI
12. After Jeff Tarango was thrown out of 1995 Wimbledon for telling the umpire to “shut up”, what did his wife do to the official?
a) Come on to himb) Slap himc) Pull down his trousers
13. How did Meghan Markle break etiquette rules in the royal box?
a) By wearing jeansb) Taking picturesc) Answering phone to Prince Harry mid-point
14. What did the US player Pat Stewart embroider on her knickers in the 1960s?
a) Her phone numberb) Her husband’s namec) A picture of her mum
Meghan Markle notoriously broke etiquette rules in the royal boxCredit: PA:Press Association
LACE ‘EM UP
Robben comes out of retirement aged 36 to make ‘dream’ return to Groningen
IT’S LALL OVER
Lallana & Clyne to leave Liverpool as Premier League release lists announced
BYE BYE BLUES
Chelsea announce THREE players to leave club at the end of the month
Miller ‘tests positive for performance-enhancing drug’ as return fight scrapped
Norwich 1 Man Utd 2 – LIVE
All the reaction as Maguire sends United to Cup semis
Chelsea 2020-21 home kit ‘leaked’ and fans hate new ‘hideous’ and ‘lazy’ strip
15. What did Ilie Nastase borrow from a fan in the crowd in 1974?
a) A sun hatb) An umbrellac) A new pair of trainers
ANSWERS: 1. c, 2. c, 3. a, 4. b, 5. b, 6. c, 7. b, 8. b, 9. c, 10. b, 11. c, 12. b, 13. a, 14. a, 15. b
Tennis star Jamie Murray appears to say ‘oh f***’ on The One Show
GOT a story? RING The Sun on 0207 782 4104 or WHATSAPP on 07423720250 or EMAIL firstname.lastname@example.org